Today’s post will be a bit different. I wanted to come on here and talk about an issue I and a lot of other bloggers surely have experienced.
So, I have been blogging for over a year now and have received countless emails from authors requesting me to review their books. You heard me, I said requesting and not asking because they don’t ask anything. They just assume you will review it, even when the book is far off from the genres you normally review.
Please, authors, don’t do this. Don’t send me your book without me asking for it. I see this happening so often with other book bloggers and booktubers and the response we get if we decline is never pleasant.
I have been wanting to write this post for a while now. So here it is.
So what should you do?
- First you should check if the blogger you want to contact actually takes requests.
- Introduce yourself and your book IF it’s a genre the blogger reviews.
- Ask if the blogger is interested.
- If the blogger says no, don’t argue or get upset. Remember we don’t get paid to review books and our time is valuable.
What not to do!
- Don’t ask people who only review fiction, to review your poetry or lifestyle book.
- Don’t just add the link to the book in your mail without knowing if the blogger wants to review it.
- Don’t spam the blogger if they don’t respond to your mail.
Just be respectful. We are human beings too.
Ps. I will be adding my reviewing ‘rules’ to my ‘about’ page.